This game was made for the GMTK Jam 2017.
A simple arcade shooter with nice colours, and (I feel) pretty complimentary enemy design. Inspired by Devil Daggers, Downwell and INK.
Game Jam Theme: Downwell's Dual Purpose Design
Here's how the game follows the theme:
- The shooting mechanic is also how you navigate the main menu.
- Holding Left Mouse Button shoots bullets, but also heals you.
- Releasing Left Mouse Button attracts Gems that Enemies drop when they die, but makes enemies behave differently.
- When you're shooting, Pink Enemies move faster, but when not shooting, Blue Enemies move faster.
- Your Ammo bar is also the screen border. Depleting your Ammo lets you see more of the screen. There's also a bonus enemy that would be obscured if your Ammo is too high.
- Gems give Score and also replenish Ammo. Since Ammo has a Max Cap, and Score will multiply, you need to juggle your pick-up rate.
- Your Health Bar is the Screen Resolution. Taking Damage makes the screen pixelated. Shooting heals you and returns this to normal.
- Enemies splatter into paint. Later in the game, there's an enemy that's white, and can only be seen when on top of paint splatters.
How to play:
The game has a tutorial, but if you're confused:
- Hold Left Mouse Button to shoot.
- Shooting depletes Ammo, which is indicated by the Green Bars on the sides of the screen.
- Shoot all coloured dots.
- Release Left Mouse Button to stop shooting and collect Gems. Gems give score and also replenish Ammo.
- Collect as many Gems as you can at once, as they Multiply and give even more score.
- Enemies behave differently depending on wheather you are shooting or not.
- Have fun (this is the most important part)
Made using Game Maker: Sudio and SFXR